Featured

[YUQ1] by Yuqi Album Review : Yuqi's Independent Journey

[YUQ1] by Yuqi 

Hey! Riff here, bringing you the [YUQ1] album review.
This is the first solo album by Yuqi of (G)I-DLE.
I'm already excited, so without further ado, let's hop in!

Physical Album

YUQ1, Yuqi, (G)I-DLE, album, unboxing, k-pop, special version,
Photo taken by Riff
We will take a look at the physical album first, then check the tracks!
I bought the special version which is bigger than the usual jewel cases and it's basically made in the shape of a suitcase.
As you can see in the photo above, there's the name of this album on the center of the case, and a lot of "stickers" that represents the tracks and the artist.
The handle is made of leather(sort of artificial leather perhaps?), and it is really sturdy.


Also taken by Riff
This is the back side of the album case, and you can see they really tried hard to sell you that this is a suitcase.
More "stickers" and some "travel tags" really keep your eyes on this.


Taken by Riff
You can see the CD once you open it.


Taken by Riff
This is one of the reasons I like K-pop.
The album comes with the full package of goodies!
It includes:
-1 guitar magnet with a stand
-booklet
-lyric book
-2 photo cards
-1 guitar pick.

Album(normal.ver) Image source: Cubee

In many stores, the special versions are sold out.
These are the normal versions of the album and you can still buy them from places like:

Overview 

Artist: Yuqi of (G)I-DLE

Release Date: April 23, 2024

Genre: Dance, Hip hop, R&B

Label: Cube Entertainment Inc. , Kakao Entertainment Corp.

Track Review

1. Freak **title 

Click below to watch

Music Video

Pretty solid song as a title! Lyrics are easy to follow, and the melody is catchy. The guitar riff is memorable, but it's kind of repetitive. Still, a great song to start and represent an album.

[8 out of 10] 


2. My Way

Click below to listen to

Song


I mean, it's alright. I get what she wants to deliver but the lyrics are pretty generic.
Melodies are ok, but this song feels mid after listening to "Freak".

[5 out of 10]


3. Drink It Up (Feat. pH-1)

Click below to listen to

Song

Ah, we all have that moment in life where you just wanna get wasted in a party.
Well, at least I had one, and this song really reminds me that experience. The lyrics are good, and meolies are great.  With pH-1's rap, ooh the vibe is just perfect.

[8 out of 10]


4. Red Rover

Click below to watch

Live Clip

If you like one of the 'bad gal' songs, you're also going to enjoy this song.
I think these kind of songs need slightly cheesy lyrics, and this one does have some.
One downside is the fact that the song is a tad bit short for my taste.
Nevertheless, a great song to listen on repeat.

[8 out of 10]


5. On Clap (Feat. Lexie Liu)

Click below to watch

Special Performance Video

If you don't focus on the lyrics, it sounds like a  good hip hop song.
However, the repeating "clapity clap clap clap" hook is pretty cringy to me.
I don't hate it, but I don't love it either.
Go check out [My Bag] by (G)I-DLE, Yuqi's rap is phenomenal there.

[5 out of 10]


6. Everytime (Feat. Minnie of (G)I-DLE)

Click below to watch

Special Clip

This is a ballad song. A good one to be honest. 
The mixture of Yuqi and Minnie's vocal is just pure delight.

[8 out of 10]
 

7. Could It Be

Click below to watch

Music Video

This is my favorite song in this album. The song features analog instruments and creates overall warm feelings.  It was an excellent choice to set this song as the last one because the song sounds great as a finale.
Great song to start/end the day.

[9 out of 10]


Standout Tracks

1 - Could It Be
2 - Freak
3 - Drink It Up


Overall Impression

This album is entertaining to listen.
Some of the songs are mid, but most of them are great.
This really demonstrates the musical spectrum that Yuqi can handle.
I can't wait for the second album to see how much she grows and improves her skills from this.
Overall, a successful standalone album without any shine of her group (G)I-DLE.

Rating:  [7 out of 10] 

What did you think of the album? Do you agree with my ratings? 
Drop your thoughts in the comments – I’d love to hear your take!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog